Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nice Big Wheels



Luckily, someone was home last Friday afternoon to sign for a package from Bike29, or else I would have been shit out of luck until sometime this week. Boba Fett was there to greet the FedEx dude, and he kindly guarded the box and it’s contents until I got home. I know I’ve already mentioned it, so I’m sure you know what was in the box.



Oooohhh, yeah. George shipped out my new wheels faster than bad chili goes through a hound dog, and I had them in my grubby hands before I knew it. I just stared in awe at how pretty they were, what with the shiny red Industry Nine hubs and all.



The black Stan’s Arch rims looked really nice with red nipples too.


Heh heh, he said “nipples.”


Don’t forget about the white spokes.



Notice the Bike29 sticker? I did.

I couldn’t wait to check out the engagement of that fancy hub either.



Also included in my box of goodness was a new tire to try, the Kenda Slant Six.



It’s a mix of my two favorite tires, the Nevegal and the Small Block 8. It looks to be fast rolling, with more grip than the SB8 (especially when cornering.) Here’s a closer look at the tread pattern:



I can’t wait to try them. All I had to do was mount the tires (tubeless of course) on my new wheels. This would be much easier, since the rim is already setup with the necessary stuff for tubeless. No more ghetto for me.



Setting them up tubeless was a breeze. The tires went right on, and it didn’t take long to seal them up with the Stan’s fluid (I used two scoops.) They sure looked pretty on my new wheels.



I didn’t put the new wheels on before my race on Sunday, since I knew the conditions were going to be shitty. I didn’t want my first ride to be in sloppy sand and mud, so I kept my old shitty wheels on The Big O. Besides, I wanted optimal conditions to test out those tires. When I got back from the race though, I gave my bike a thorough cleaning, and installed the wheels. I was pleased with the results.







Yup, a winner for sure. Now if I could just get the rider to be better then I would be all set.


Big thanks to George at Bike29 for building me a bad ass set of wheels. He’ll build you some too, but you have to ask nicely (or not, your choice.) Go to the website and find something you like. If you don’t see anything that tickles your fancy, then give the shop a call and tell them what you need. Yes, they are a real shop with real people over there at Bike29, not just an internet store. You can get wheels just like mine (you better not), or you can get something cool just for you.


The only bad part about this whole deal is that the weather around here sucks this week, so I probably won’t get a chance to ride my new wheels on a real trail for a while. I’m sure I’ll figure out something though. I’ll be back tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

No comments: