Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's Tempting

You know, tempting to skip right the hell to Fun Friday today.  Other than flip-flopping around about my race season and partying in the woods, there's not a whole lot else going on.  It's been raining again, which means no bike riding for me.



It's like we live in goddamn rain forest or something.  Except that it's been cold too.  I mean, we even had to cancel our urban ride a couple of nights ago.  That's pretty damn sad.


Excuse me please.  I'm just being a crybaby.  I don't mind riding in the rain and cold most of the time, but I've been working so many hours lately that it's difficult to motivate myself when I get home.  Maybe I'm lazy or something.  Whatever. At least I'll get to ride next weekend.  That should make up for it, right?

Since I haven't been riding, I've been spending my free time at home practicing my guitar.  I've started real lessons now too, and it's going quite well. I've learned a lot so far and I look forward to going to "class" every week.



I'm no Hendrix yet, but damn it's been fun so far.  Now, instead of perusing bike shops for new shit, I've been spending time in music stores looking for my next guitar.  I've discovered that they are a lot like bikes, where you can probably get away with a cheap one but it's not going to do you any good when you get better.

I like to think it's like buying a Wally World bike and trying to ride Pisgah...



Anyway, my new-found interest in guitars has not gone unnoticed amongst my friends. Good Guy Greg (who plays those magical stringy instruments) has been a big help with maintenance, technique, advice, etc., but he has also given me a warning:

"Don't let it take over.  I've seen it happen."

Good advice I suppose.  When I told him that I hope I don't start playing so much that I ignore the bike, his helpful tone turned to one of concern:

"We'll be ready with an intervention."

I have such good friends.

I do miss my bike though.  But, by the looks of things, I may not be able to ride it again until I travel down to Florida.

I guess in the meantime I'll keep playing my guitar, and keep an eye out for an angry mob outside my door.

1 comment:

1speed said...

Definitely could be worse ... we're buried in ice here in PA and haven't had power in about 48 hours now (and likely won't get it back until Sunday night at the earliest.) I've taken to wrapping cats around me to stay warm in the house, and I've forgotten what a non-snow-covered trail looks like.