Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It Wasn’t A Wash

Well, sorta


The debut race of the 2014 Charlotte Youth Cycling League wasn’t held under the best conditions, but I’d still say it was pretty good. After riding in warm, sunny Georgia (it was warm and sunny here too) on Saturday, Lunchbox and I woke up to chilly air and what looked like rain on the way. Since we volunteered to assist with the race (I’m loyal, remember) we made sure we were there.


Just as the races kicked off, the rain started moving in.





The trails were good for quite a while though, since the tree cover prevented most of the
rain from hitting it. With plenty of volunteers to ride on the course with the kids, Lunchbox
and I stayed and helped with the food, provided by my local shop The Cycle Path.


Photo credit: Mike Long


Besides, good people like Good Guy Greg were more than willing to get dirty to help the little ones.


Photo cred: Mike Long


The rain (and cold) picked up when the older kids were about to go off, but there toughed it out and went out there. When it was over we all tore down in a hurry so we could get out of the cold.


Even though we had some bad weather, it was still a pretty good race. These kids are way tougher than we are, and getting a chance to race in a series all their won is just what they need. Those little boys and girls are the future, since none of us are getting any younger. I’m happy that I had a chance to help out and I can’t wait for the next one.


And by the way, this is it for me this week. Me and the little lady are heading out of town for the next few days for a little R&R, so this Internet Blog thingy will have to take a backseat. I know, there’s some big event this weekend that I’ll miss while I’m gone. I’m sure Dicky will be happy to tell you all about it though.



I’ll be back here Monday, hopefully with some stories to tell. We’re bringing our bikes on the trip, so most likely they’ll be good stories. Plus, I may even share some news about a new supporter that I’ve somehow acquired.

No comments: