Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day Two

After riding on trails the day before, our gracious hosts wanted to give us a tour of Charleston...

on bikes.


The little lady and I had been there before on bikes, but we didn't get very far.  Plus, it was a few years ago and we really didn't remember much about riding in this historic area.  As you can see in the photo above, we rode up the Cooper River Bridge.  Once we got to the top, we took the opportunity to enjoy the view.

We also lined up our fleet of Niners for a photo op:


Of course, riding down the bridge was pretty rad.  Once we got into the city, some things started to look familiar to me.  However, our hosts took us through some areas that I don't recall ever seeing.


Like, really deep in the city...


Of course we stopped for lunch (and beer) along the way, but the day was about riding and exploring.  We rode through lots of history, saw some dolphins, checked out The Citadel, and generally had a good time.  I think the best part was finding stuff that the little lady and I missed on our first trip down there years ago.


Of course there were some cut-thrus though, some a little shady.


It was all good though, since that particular one led to a brewery.  And I got to see another one of my favorite critters.


After some more good local beer, our next stop to us to a local bike shop, Affordabike.  We stopped in and shot the shit for a while.  In addition to be Charleston's Niner dealer, I really thought the place was neat.  We eventually hit the road again, rolling out in our train down towards the waterfront.


That's where we caught a glimpse of that big bride we crossed earlier.


We had to cross it again to get back, but not without stopping to watch one of those big ass cargo ship pass below us.


It was absolutely an awesome day.  I say it all the time, but riding a bike is really the best way to see any city.  I really appreciate our friends Ed and Alice for putting up with us and showing us around.

I can't wait to go back.


1 comment:

Linda Sz said...

And it was a Maersk Ship. Thx for giving us some advertising haha! Looks like a great time. I will be there next weekend. any suggestions?
linda