Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rest and Relaxation



After the past few months of racing in the Charlotte Mountain Bike Series, I am taking a well-deserved break. Piling on all of the races at the end of the series really did a number on me. Since I had to fight to finish in the top ten overall, coupled with the fact that I was dealing with a cold, I am really worn down. I am purposely staying off the bike for a few days, maybe even an entire week. My road bike situation has been corrected, thanks to a new spoke for the rear wheel. I put it back together and hung it up in the garage. As much as I want to ride, my body just needs a break.

I have a mountain bike event scheduled for this Saturday, in Albemarle, NC. The SORBA Uwharrie Ride Center Event
will be at City Lake Park in Albemarle, NC, and will consist of kids rides, bike checks, pump track laps, and a screening of the movie “Seasons” by The Collective. Groundbreaking on the new Uwharrie Ride Center will take place in late October or November, and they will be looking for people to join the trail crew. The event will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. For a video of the pump track, click here.






Sunday is still up in the air. There is a Tarheel Trailblazers Kids Ride scheduled at 1:00 p.m. at Sherman Branch, but we also have a football game on TV at the same time. Although Lunchbox and I are huge fans (not like these guys though), we really like doing the kids rides. Little Miss Sunshine even plans to attend the kids ride. I guess we will have to make a decision pretty soon. This will be the last regularly schedule kids ride until our big one, the IMBA Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day ride at Beatty. Oh, what to do, what to do.


As for the layoff, I’ll pick it up after the weekend I guess. I will start training for the Tree Shaker 12 Hour Mountain Bike Race in Fort Mill, SC. My former nemesis Doug has agreed to team up with me to share the pain. This should be interesting. I’ll be putting in a lot of road miles during the week and hitting the trails on the weekends. I’ll give you a sneak peek at my roadie training plan. I will follow this guy’s advice. Well, maybe not. It’s a little too extreme for me. Peace out.
.
.
.

No comments: