Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rest And Relaxation

I've been skipping more and more days on here and it's hard to tell if anyone noticed.  Who gives a shit.  I've been busy with work and all that, but mostly I've just sorta been in a hole.  I've been avoiding people I know for the most part and keeping to myself.  Even the little bit of riding I've been doing has been out of town and by myself.  I needed a break and I thought it was working.

I guess the time away from everything did some good.  I needed more though.  A way to relax and get away from it all without staying away too long.  That's why the little lady and I took a little getaway this past weekend.  We decided to take a short trip to Virginia Beach to check out a lighthouse or two (one her favorite things ever.)  We left right after work on Friday and hit the road to our hotel.  I bought some beer at a local store so I could relax before the whirlwind day we had planned but I couldn't find my bottle opener.

Luckily we brought our bikes with the most useful pedals ever...


The next day, after a drive through the beautiful Virginia countryside, we arrived at Fort Story in Virginia Beach.  Since it's an active military installation we had to go through a security check at the front gate before we could get in.  It was worth it though, because the little lady got to visit a lighthouse that she'd never seen before.


That's the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse.  Built in 1792, it's the first lighthouse authorized by the U.S. government.  It was in use for nearly a hundred years, until they built the New Cape Henry light a few hundred feet away...


I like history, so I dig lighthouses.  Not as much as Little Miss Sunshine does though, so she was ecstatic to see two of them so close together.  Maybe that's why she decided to molest the local wildlife.


Our fun didn't end there though.  Virginia Beach has a ton of breweries so we found one pretty quickly.


I'd tell you the name of it, but it's not worth mentioning.  The beer wasn't great at all, despite the fact that there were lots of people in there.  We finished it anyway, because beer.   

We hopped back in the truck and took a tunnel under Chesapeake Bay...


Hoping to continue our fun day (and forget about the poor beer choice we made) we hit up a local restaurant for some seafood.


 The atmosphere was good, and the food was even better.  After stuffing ourselves with fresh seafood, we hopped on our bikes for a ride around the island.  Of course, we found another lighthouse...


The Old Point Comfort Light was pretty neat too.  It shows signs of wear but it has a lot of character.  We hung out there for a while just taking it in.  It was a nice way to relax for sure.

But more adventure was waiting for us.

More tomorrow... 

No comments: