Thursday, October 20, 2011

I Need A Break




It’s been a long “season”, and I’m really starting to feel it. I’m tired, sore, cranky, and whatever else bad you can think of. Shit, I’m even injured in a few places. My wrist is still in quite a bit of pain from a skateboarding accident a little over a month ago. I may have fractured it, but I never got it checked out. It’s still not healed right, although I can put a little more weight on it now. It bothers me on long mountain bike rides, especially when there are lots of rocks and roots. Even having a squishy fork doesn’t seem to help. After hurting for a while on a ride, my hand eventually falls asleep. And no, it’s not my bike fit. It never happened before and I haven’t changed a thing. I guess I’ll have to wait until my wrist fully heals.


My knees have been giving me problems too. I’ve always had a “bad” knee (my right one), dating back to my high school years. I played soccer, rode bikes and skateboards, so I just thought that was normal. I had surgery back in the 1991 when I was in the Army to repair some damage, and I was pretty good for quite a number of years. About ten years ago though, the pain came back. That coincides with the time that I started mountain biking and also picked up the skateboard again. It hurts when I walk some days, and it swells up a little. I’m usually good with it while I’m riding, but there’s hell to pay when I finish a ride. I had a cortisone shot a couple of years ago, and that kept me going for a while. I keep saying that I’ll get it looked at, but I’m kinda stubborn (plus I’m afraid of doctors.)




You never know what will happen.


My “good” knee is letting me down too, and this time it’s affecting my bike riding. When I stand up to pedal, I get this really sharp pain right under the kneecap. It’s been getting progressively worse, but ironically it doesn’t hurt as bad when I ride my singlespeed (I stand up to pedal a lot more on it.) I probably should go to the doctor for this one, but watch the video above again and you’ll remember why I’m hesitant. I should probably hurry up though, because it could get bad enough to require surgery (maybe it already does.) I definitely don’t want to be off my bike for any long period of time. I don't think I could take just sitting around all the time.





Okay, I’m done whining. I’ll be back tomorrow with my weekend plans, which are probably a bad idea considering all the shit I’ve been talking about today. I’ll never learn, but I just can’t stay off my bike.

No comments: