Monday, December 16, 2013

Out On My Own

Last week I talked about not riding and getting fat, and this weekend it looked like I might head down that path never to return. The weather on Saturday sucked, so I just had to do something on Sunday. The problem?


I didn't want to.


I woke up feeling tired and lazy, and almost talked myself out of riding because everything around here was closed. Somehow I managed to grab my bike and got my ass out the door to go ride. Making breakfast to go probably helped.







My destination was Uwharrie again, knowing that the conditions there would be good despite the fact that it rained the day before. I mean, it's pretty rocky out there so it drains well.



I was all alone despite the fact that there were quite a few cars in the parking lot. I needed some alone time, so hoped I wouldn't run into any of the people that drove them. I got my wish, and had the place to myself for most of my ride.


It was damn awesome.



I had pretty much all day to ride. Wanting to get in some good mileage, I took off down a fire road in the forest.



I climbed all the way to the top.  The view was nice.



I found some new routes out there, and I can't wait to go back to do some more “exploring.” With over 50,000 acres in the Uwharrie National Forest, there are plenty of places to ride without hitting the same old stuff. The trails are in the best shape I've ever seen, and that's no doubt thanks to the very few people that take time to maintain them. I moved a few fallen trees off the trail during my ride, but for once I'm not talking about myself.



Big thanks to Chris G. for taking time before his ride yesterday to blow the leaves off of one of the trails out there.



So yeah, finally I got out for a ride. It was good to be out there all by my lonesome too. I guess I needed some “me” time.

No comments: