Wednesday, December 10, 2014

All Road And No Dirt?

Did I ride on the road every day after my class in Georgia?  Just about.  It was sorta like Groundhog Day.  Wake up, eat breakfast, go to class, get out with just enough daylight to put in road miles, search for food, play my guitars, drink beer(s), and fall asleep (sorta.) 

And…repeat. 

Every day was the same, so I won’t bore you with the details.  Well, except for Friday.  We got out of class early, so I drove across the northern part of the state over to Blankets Creek, a trail I’d heard good things about from many different people.



Sure, I thought it would be a great place to ride, but it didn't matter.  After spending four days in a row on the road all I cared about was riding in some dirt.  One look at the map though, I knew I’d be in for a fun day.


Brace yourselves, there are a lot of photos of my bike leaning against stuff.

Some of the trails there are directional depending on the day of the week.  Luckily, they made it idiot proof (they must’ve known I’d be there.)



And they like making signs.



While I was riding, I was pleasantly surprised.  The trails had a familiar feel, almost like some of our local stuff, with a little bit of Warrior Creek thrown in.



The climbs weren’t bad, but there was some elevation.



And it wasn’t all smooth.  There were rocks.




I had the place mostly to myself.



There were lots of “alternate” lines along the way.  Being that I was unfamiliar with this new (to me) trail, I made sure to take the most difficult ones when faced with a choice.



I was rewarded with fun (and neat signs.)




I tried to get a photo of me riding off of one of the drops, but it didn’t work out so well.



Did I mention that there were neat signs everywhere?  Yes, I did.

That one I took because my cousin was in the 10th Mountain Division (and a veteran of this current conflict.)

The trail was rad.  Worth the drive down there all the way from Charlotte?  Probably.  I was in the area so it was convenient.  I’d definitely go back, and hopefully bring a crew of locals with me.  The folks at SORBA Woodstock did a great job.  I mean, a real good job.  Nice facilities at the trail head, tons of good trail work, and of course (I almost forgot to mention) FEATURES!



I also need to mention the skills area I guess.  It was pretty cool.







I will definitely go back to Blankets Creek.  Even if it’s not while I’m on a “business trip.”  Although I’m down to mix business with pleasure.

No comments: