Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In Depth Analysis




Since yesterday was my official “race” report from the North Carolina Single Speed Championship, I figured I should dig a little deeper today. Overall, I enjoyed myself out there. Despite being a first-time event, it went off pretty well. Other than showing up sick, I can’t really complain. I did look pretty good out there in my Twin Six jersey too.



Big thanks to Weldon Weaver for taking photos out there.


So, I guess I should talk about some of the things that were going on that directly affected my “race.”


Being Sick

Yes, I’ve caught whatever the hell is “going around.” It sucks. I usually get sick every time the weather changes, so it was kind of expected. The “sickness” most definitely affected my lungs out there, and also my balance. That would explain the crash for sure, since I usually do pretty well on tight, twisty downhill stuff. There was nothing I could do about being under the weather, so I made the best of it (which probably means it will take me longer to get well.)


Gear Choice

Being a new singlespeeder, I don’t really have a favorite gear yet. I started out with a 32X20, but it seemed way too easy. Plus, I could never really get the chain tension right (having a converted “geared” frame is difficult I guess.) I switched to an 18 tooth cog in the rear, and got everything working properly. Never mind that I wasn’t really ready for such a big jump. Anyway, after a handful of rides I figured I would do okay. I was actually surprised during the race. Some hills were tough, but overall a 32X18 seemed to be the right fit for me around here. I don’t regret my gear choice, although I did catch myself out there several times trying to shift gears. Dumbass.



Race Strategy

When I signed up, I had none. When I saw everyone take off like a bat outta hell, I forgot all about taking it easy and proceeded to mix it up. I went out way too hard, and paid for it dearly. It’s really hard to assess this accurately though because I was sick, but I still think it would have been an issue. I could feel my legs getting tighter on climbs later in the course, and that probably would have happened anyway. I don’t think I can change that though. If it’s a race, then I race. I don’t know how to take it easy from the start line. One of these days when my heart explodes I’ll learn my lesson.


Bike Stuff

My singlespeed bike is a piece of shit. I can say that because I built it out of parts that have been used and abused. The frame, fork, and wheels are okay (I raced with this stuff at one time or another), but the rest of the components are less than great. I’m using a cheap SS conversion kit with shitty cogs. The stem and handlebars are the wrong size, and that makes the bike fit very poor. Now that I am digging the single life a bit I’ll spring for a few upgrades to get everything right.


Swag

Everyone loves free shit. Some races give you free shit; others make you earn it by getting on the podium. In this case, it was both. Even though I didn’t earn a damn thing on the podium, I still walked away with a few goodies.



See that? Another Tülbag. Backcountry Research was one of the race sponsors, and they provided these handy little sacks of goodness for the race participants. These guys are supporting our events here in North Carolina, so maybe you should support them by ordering something. Okay?

That wasn’t all though. When I opened up the Tülbag, I found more stuff inside.



A couple of bottles of chain lube from ProGold (the best lube evarrrrrr) and a 16 tooth cog.



16? Screw that. I’ve had enough torture.


Despite the fact that I may sound a little bitchy, it was fun. I will definitely spend more time on the singlespeed bike from now on. You know, if I ever get over this shit I have. I hate being sick.


I’m taking tomorrow off, so I’ll see y’all Thursday.

1 comment:

eastwood said...

Being sick does blow indeed... but I guess that 16T cog is a gentle hint from the race coordinators, race big or spin around the course. I'm itching to go singlespeed at some point. No room for more bikes here, but I'm dreaming of it!