Friday, June 24, 2011

Headed South




This is yet another weekend for travel, and I’m not the only one that’s going somewhere. Tomorrow, my main man Lunchbox is making his summer pilgrimage to Orlando, Florida. He’s not one of those morons that will be waiting in line to watch the trial of the century though. He’s actually going down there to spend a few weeks with his mom, since she still lives down there. I will miss him, but I’m sure he’s glad to get to see her. He’ll certainly miss North Carolina, since Florida kinda sucks these days. There won’t be any beach visits, trips to Disney, or anything fun like that. Instead of the usual reasons people travel to Florida, he’ll probably just be riding his skateboard around in the hot sun on flat roads. Hopefully Mr. Shepherd can meet up with him to hang out while he’s there. Six weeks won’t go by fast enough for us both, that’s for sure.


As for me, it’s time for another race in the Southern Classic Series. This weekend’s race is being held down in Clemson, South Carolina. It’s called the Tiger Rag, and we’ll be racing on the Issaqueena Lake Trails. Just like always, it will another race on a trail I’ve never ridden. I haven’t heard anything (good or bad) about the trails down there, but it will most likely be hot. That will be a big change from last week’s race, and I’m cool with that.


My race starts at 9:30 a.m., so I’ll have to leave my house at 5:30 a.m. to make the three hour drive down there and have time for packet pickup and other junk. I’m not looking forward to getting up so early, but I am looking forward to racing again. This is the last race for a while in this series, since there is nothing scheduled for July. I’ll have to find something to do for a month or so to keep my skills up I guess.


In other news, I have some new stuff coming my way. One is a major upgrade for The Big O, which I should be picking up later today. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to install this mystery upgrade and talk about it next week sometime. I probably won’t do anything the day or two before the race though. I’d rather not spend my kid’s last night here having him watch me install new bike parts. That doesn’t sound like much fun. Saturday will be a no go too, since it’s bad luck (for me anyway) to change bike stuff out the day before a race. I might not be able to fight it though, so look for an epic fail coming soon to a blog near you.


The other thing is something I’ll wait to talk about. I won’t have this particular item for a while, so you’ll have to wait too. It’s not that big of a deal, but I’m pretty excited about it. See y’all Monday with a race report, because at least I can talk about that. Until then, drink up.

No comments: