Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Calm My Nerves

Why do I need to calm my nerves you ask? It’s simple. I get nervous for every single race I do, no matter how many times I’ve done it. Sure, the 2010 Winter Short Track Series is a short course and it’s local, but I still get the pre-race jitters every time I line up. Hell, I’m nervous right now and I still have a few days to go. What can I do to calm down? Well, how about I go hang out with a bunch of people at a furniture store?




Okay, it’s not just a furniture store. It’s IKEA, the craziest place you will ever shop for furniture and other crap. Even though it’s been open a while and it’s really close to the house, I’ve tried my best to avoid it. However, Little Miss Sunshine saw something on the Internets that she wanted so I volunteered to go along. I was expecting a crowd of imbeciles and morons, and I wasn’t disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised at the actual shopping experience though. The place was HUGE!


When go in, you are greeted with a giant escalator that whisks you up to the second floor where you being your adventure. Then, you follow these arrows on the floor like a rat going through a maze. As you shop, you jot down what you want to buy on your “shopping list”, and you pick it up later. There was so much stuff in there that we could have easily stayed for hours.


We found the item that LMS wanted, but we still had to navigate our way out of the maze. When we arrived at the end of the second floor maze, we were greeted with a giant cafeteria. I guess all that shopping could make one really hungry. After you are dumped out into the restaurant, we took an elevator to even more shopping fun on the first floor. Same maze theme going on here too. Once we completed our tour of the first floor, we came across this giant (and I mean giant) warehouse looking place.





This is where you look for the items you wrote down on your shopping list. It wasn’t too hard to find what we had picked out though. We grabbed our item and we proceeded to browse the rest of the warehouse. As we were headed to the checkout, I saw this sign that made me laugh:





I guess they just wanted you to eat and shop, eat and shop (and eat some more.) We paid for our stuff and got the hell out of there. I guess that trip didn’t do anything to calm my racing nerves, but it was definitely an interesting experience. I highly recommend it if you are in need of furniture and other household accessories.


I’m sorry if you came here today looking for bicycling-related talk, but I needed a break from it. The race season is rapidly approaching, so there will be plenty of bicycling crap and nonsense in the weeks to come. Hell, I even discovered a new race I am considering adding to my ever so full calendar. Oh yeah, I didn’t forget about the 24 Hours of Booty either. I just haven’t made up my mind yet. I’m such a procrastinator.

No comments: