Thursday, January 14, 2010

Training Plan

Well, there’s not much else I can do to prepare myself for the start of the race season. Sunday morning I’ll be on the bike for the first race of the 2010 Winter Short Track Series, and I am as ready as I can get at this point. I’ve done as much training as I can do to prepare myself for the start of the season, but I know it’s not enough. With only a few days left, I can’t get myself into any better shape. I will just have to suffer through the first few races I guess. I am quite used to suffering, so I should be very comfortable.


I felt the same way last year at the start of the series too. There are quite a few differences from last year though. First of all, I had a much heavier bike (around 34 pounds), an I was in really horrible riding shape. Last year I wasn’t on the bike very much before the start of the series due to the fact that I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder. Now I am in better, albeit not prime condition and I have a new, lighter bike to use for the series. The Greatest Short Track Bike on Earth should serve me well, or at least reduce the amount of weight that I have to carry around the course.


This winter I’ve done more riding that I had been doing in the past, but most of it has been on the X-Bike at my local fitness center. I’m still riding it at lunch time, but I have reduced the intensity to more of a “maintenance” effort at this point. I brought my Blackberry with me so I could have some tunes while I ride, and I took some photos of my awesome (sarcasm alert) experience.





Wow, look at me go. All that riding, and I didn’t move an inch. That’s probably the worst part of it. My favorite part about riding bicycles is the feeling I get while moving fast through the trees, or even flying down country roads. The X-Bike is supposed to be the next best thing, but I can’t wait until I don’t have to depend on it for my cycling fitness anymore. When we start having more daylight in the evenings, I can resume my nightly road rides, which really does benefit me during the race season. I never thought I would miss riding my road bike, but I do, especially after staring at this cockpit every day:



Well, as far as the rest of my preparations, I haven’t really put a whole lot of effort into it. I did resume the carb-loading plan I discovered at the Tree Shaker, although this time around I won’t be drinking between laps. I’ve been preparing nightly by enjoying fine beverages from some of our local breweries, most notably the Highland Brewing Company located in Asheville, NC. Here is my latest energy source:



Stewie says you can kiss his ass if you think I’ll share my beer with you.


That about sums it up, I guess. I am as ready as I can be. I know I mentioned a new sponsor a while back, but I haven’t made an official announcement yet. Patience, my friends. In due time I will announce the next supporter of my not-so excellent adventures. While I have received some goodies from said supporter, I am waiting for the “official” sponsorship kit to arrive (which should be any day now I hope.) Just to give you a small hint, I can tell you that I will probably have some sort of clothing dilemma on race days that will affect my other supporter, Middle Ring Cycles. Wow, I never thought that I would have an issue of how to display my sponsors properly. I guess people love supporting middle-of-the-pack racers these days. Whodathunkit?

No comments: