Monday, March 22, 2010

It’s Monday And I Need Some Coffee.


I don't really drink coffee that much, but Paul does.


Yesterday was supposed to be ride number two this year for the Tarheel Trailblazers Kids Ride. I woke up Sunday morning, headed to the store to pick up cookies and drinks for the kids, and went back home to pack up our stuff. I loaded up the bikes for Lunchbox and I, Little Miss Sunshine’s bike, and the bike formerly known as the Greatest Short Track Bike on Earth. Wait, that’s three of us. So, why did I have a fourth bike? Well, after months of pestering, I finally convinced my neighbor, The Chili Man and his son to join us on the rides. I offered to let him borrow my “spare” bike, and after a short test ride the day before, he was hooked.


He immediately noticed the difference between a department store bike, and a “quality” bike, just from one ride. I tried to tell him that the Greatest Short Track Bike on Earth was actually a piece of shit, but he wasn’t having it. I guess he’s ridden some really bad bicycles in his day.


After getting all of our crap ready to go, we were just about to leave for Colonel Francis Beatty Park down near Matthews, NC, when the rain started to fall. At the same time, I got a message from one of my friends on that end of town that said it was raining down there too. At that point I made the call to cancel the ride, posting the info on the Tarheel Trailblazers site. Just as I finished, I saw the Chili Man about to head up the road to meet us. We stopped him and gave him the news.


I felt like this was somehow my fault, although I have no control over the weather (that’s too bad.) I was excited about the kids ride, and even more happy that my neighbors were finally getting a chance to join us. They were okay with it though, I guess. After the rain stopped they decided to head out for a neighborhood ride, with Lunchbox joining them. I stayed in the garage, sulking (and doing other stuff that I’ll talk about tomorrow I guess.) I really like the kids rides as much as the kids do, so hopefully the next one will happen. I also hope that The Chili Man can join us next time, since he is a pretty wacky guy, and very entertaining. That should make the kids rides even more fun.



Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that his real name is Jackie Moon.

No comments: