Thursday, May 29, 2014

All In For Beer

It was finally time to check the home brew I made a couple of weeks ago.  After bottling all the good stuff to wait it out, I took what was left in the fermenter to use for a taste test.  I keep an old root beer bottle around for just that purpose.  It ain’t pretty, but it holds beer.



The bottle was rock hard, meaning that it was fully carbonated.  That was a good sign.  I refrigerated it for a couple of days, and finally got a chance to try it out.  I slowly poured it into a glass, and not surprisingly it looked just like beer.



I didn’t pour much in the glass, because I didn’t want all the sludge that was in the bottle to end up in my glass.  Since it came from the bottom of the barrel (I mean that quite literally), it was full of hops and other stuff you really don’t want to drink.  The second pouring shows this.



The first glass I poured though, was fucking excellent.  Very, and I mean very hoppy.  Bitter as all get out, perfectly carbonated, and delightful to drink.  The alcohol content was pretty high, and I immediately felt the effects.  Not bad for some guy making that shit in his kitchen I suppose.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve brewed beer.  So long in fact, that I thought I might have forgotten how to do it.  Now I have sixteen bottles (bigger than the old root beer bottle) to share.

Or to keep all to myself.

Nah, just kidding.  I shall share.  I have a few folks around here that will get a taste, and I plan to bring a little across state lines when I travel to Florida in a few weeks for Mr. Shepherd’s wedding.  We’ll see if I can make it last that long.  It’s so good that I’m not sure if I can stop from drinking it all myself.


I made good beer.  See?  I’m actually good at something.

No comments: