Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Just Don't Get It





I love bikes. You know that. I ride most any type of pedal-powered devices: mountain bikes, road bikes, and unicycles. There's one kind of riding that I just can't seem to get into...cyclocross.


For those of you that don't know, cyclocross is a little different. The race course are short, and can consist of pavement, trails, grass, and mud. Riders do multiple laps and have to dismount and jump over obstacles while they navigate the course. The bikes are a little different too. They resemble road bikes, but with their cantilever brakes and knobby tires, they seem to be suited for this type of riding. Here is an example of a cyclocross bike:





Yes, of course I used a picture of a Diamondback bike.



It is very spectator friendly, and I've been to quite a few races just to watch. I just don't see why they do it though. I know a lot of my cycling friends ride cyclocross (CX.) I've talked to some of you, and I still don't get it. Sure, it's great way to train, and riding more when it gets cold outside is probably not a bad thing. One of my biggest issues as a Clydesdale is the fact that in the offseason I tend to ride less and drink more beer. Maybe CX wouldn't be such a bad idea.


I'll probably attend a few local CX races when I find out about them to cheer on my cycling pals. I mean, who the hell wouldn't want to miss something like this?





Wait a minute...that was funny. I love to have horrendous crashes, and it looks like the possibility is high in CX. It would be good for the blog. You don't actually need to have a specific bike for this kind of racing. I hear that you can use a mountain bike. Shit. What am I doing? Did I just talk myself into actually trying this crazy stuff? I know D-Wayne would probably try to convince me to do it. Damn it.

No comments: