Friday, February 5, 2010

Brakin’



Yesterday I spent a lot of time thinking about my current brake situation (not the corny 1980’s cult classic above), and how I can resolve it without throwing a shitload of cash at it. We’re not rolling in dough around here at B-43, so I need to do this a cheaply as possible. Besides, the Greatest Short Track Bike on Earth is not my primary ride, so I can’t really justify any big expenditure on it anyway. I can see myself using that bike a lot more this season, but Goose will always be my primary bike love.


Anyway a friend of mine, local wheelie guru and grill master Benson, ran into a similar situation with his hardtail machine. He purchased a new suspension fork for his older-model hardtail, and it was disc only. Rather than run a front disc brake and a rear v-brake (I've considered this), he decided to take matters into his own hands. Since he has the availability to machine parts in his line of work, he came up with a clever solution. A high-quality, handmade disc brake adapter for his hardtail.



I had heard about this on the Tarheel Trailblazers website, and I was intrigued, although I didn’t have an older-model hardtail of my own at the time. I spotted this close-up photo on his page on The Facebooks, and I thought I would share it here (without permission, but I did give him credit so step off.) As you can see in the photo, it does the job just fine and it looks professionally made too (I guess he is a professional in manufacturing parts anyway.) It sure beats the alternative, a super-expensive disc brake conversion kit.


When I inquired about it a few months ago, he stated that he had another one made, and that I could try it. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but now that I am having issues I asked him about it again. He stated that it would probably be compatible with my bike, but that we should schedule a grillin’ and chillin’ session to do some brainstorming. He is well known around here for his affinity for beer, and also his prowess on the grill. I haven’t replied back to him as of yet, but it looks as if I will be taking a trip to the south end of town to get this party started (so to speak.) I mean really, what do I have to lose? I could even bring him some of my home brew as a token of appreciation. It’s time to get the ball rolling on this one, I guess.


While I don’t foresee this conversion happening before the 2010 Winter Short Track Series is over, it would definitely make it more appealing to use my hardtail for other events or even regular rides. If this works out, I may have to supply him with homebrew for a good long time. Stay tuned.


This weekend is shaping up to be another mudfest, provided we don’t get another round of snow (there is a chance according to our inaccurate weather forecasters.) Race number three of the 2010 Winter Short Track Series is this Sunday, and I can’t wait to get back outside to ride. Although the muddy conditions have been hell on me and my bike, I’m glad to have the opportunity to ride outdoors. I don’t think I can take another day of trainer hell. Full race report next week, if there is a race to report.

No comments: