Friday, February 19, 2010

Season Finale





Tomorrow is the final race in the 2010 Winter Short Track Series of misfortune, and I have mixed feelings about it. First and foremost, I’m happy to be able to get out and race again, even though it’s been filled with suckitude (for me anyways.) What I haven’t enjoyed is the hours I’ve spent washing the mud out of my clothes, cleaning and maintaining my bike, and the realization that neither I nor the Greatest Short Track Bike on Earth has been ready for this grueling series.


I fully suspected that I wouldn’t be in “racing shape” so early in the season. I didn’t really prepare very well in the “offseason” either, other than I drank a lot of beer. Also, I had a feeling that the P.O.S. I threw together at the last minute and called a bike would disappoint me. Yes my friends, the Greatest Short Tack Bike on Earth was a failed experiment, but I will press on. I do have some hope that The Big O will have much better results though. Of course, I thought that the Greatest Piece of Shit on Earth would fare much better than it did, but hey, at least I learned a lesson. You can build a bike two ways: right, and right now. I chose the latter and paid dearly for it.


Although I somehow doubt it, the weather gurus around here are predicting some sunny goodness for this weekend, although it will still most likely be cold. We had a little rain earlier in the week, but it has been dry so far. Maybe the trail will dry out and be in nice shape for the season finale. I’m not sure if I can handle myself out there with no mud. It will be fun either way I guess. I may do what I did last week and bring both bikes, deciding at the last possible moment which one to ride. I worked on both of them last night to get them back into riding condition, so I shouldn’t have any issues. I checked and double-checked the drivetrain, brakes, and everything else I could think of. I even gave Goose a hug to make him feel better.


Looking forward, there are a few things on the horizon. The month of March is relatively event-free, so maybe I can get some quality saddle time without the demands of a race bearing down on me. If the weather warms up a bit, we’ll resume the regularly-scheduled Tarheel Trailblazers Kids Ride. I miss those, and I’m sure the kids do too. Other than that, I’ll be pulling stuff out of my ass to put here on the blog the next few weeks. Hang in there, as things could get real messy around here. See y’all Monday.

No comments: