Thursday, July 8, 2010

What’s The Point?

Why do some of us push ourselves to do things that most people won’t do? Specifically, why do I race my bike, compete in triathlons, and endure countless hours of “training”, when it’s much easier to do nothing? Well, I actually enjoy it. I love the pre-race jitters, the friendly competition, and the benefits I get from exercise. While that may be difficult for most people to understand, it’s actually a very simple (and sensible) idea. Humans weren’t designed (or created if that’s what you believe) to just sit around and watch the tube all day, or to get their food from a drive-thru window at some fast food joint. You get what I’m saying, right?



Anyway, I’m not proclaiming to be some super-fitness guy, but I do enjoy the exercise. That’s what it’s supposed to be all about anyway. I mean, we’re no longer required to hunt down and kill our food every day or run from sabre-toothed tigers, so we have to do something, right? Well, maybe being a caveman wasn’t so simple, huh?



Sure, there are plenty of things you can do to stay in shape (and no, I don’t mean round, dumbass.) I happen to like riding my bike, running, and swimming. Is it just about “working out”? Well no, but it gets the job done. As far as competing in events, I do that for a little extra push. Even if my “competition” is better than me, I still give it a little more when I am in “race mode.” It’s good for my mind and my body.

Is there a moral to this story? No, but I didn’t mean to get all preachy on y’all either. Since I’m only a few days away from XTERRA Whitewater, I’ve been hearing a lot of shit from “normal” people. “Why do you do that crazy shit?”, and so forth. Some people will never understand. It’s not about being crazy. It’s about taking care of your body and using it for a purpose. I guess what I’m trying to say is, get your ass off the couch and go do something. Ride your bike, take a walk, climb a tree even. Oh yeah, video games are not a valid substitute for exercise, no matter how much sweat you might drip all over your mom’s new couch.

No comments: