Thursday, June 30, 2016

Something Yummy

Since bike rides aren't happening as frequently as I'd like, I've had to keep myself busy in other ways.  About a month ago I mentioned that I started brewing beer again.  I made a nice little session ale just to ease myself back into the process.  After bottling it and waiting for a bit, it was time for the taste test.


It actually came out better than expected.  It's been so long since the last time I made beer that I was a little worried.  It was all for nothing though, since this brew is great!  Light, but with plenty of flavor.  It will be perfect for these upcoming Summer days, and I look forward to drinking it.  The rest of the batch still needs to sit a bit longer, but I will share with anyone that happens to be around when it's completely ready.  So those of you that know where I am...

Not one to rest on my laurels, I started another batch a short while later.  I used a bunch of Centennial and Cascade hops that I got at a brew supply store in Asheville and got the process started.

A cauldron of yummy.

I didn't plan to stop there.  I'd been reading about different ingredients for homebrew, which prompted me to look in the cabinet for something I'd wanted to use for a while.  You see, my Great Uncle (who's in his 90s) gave us some honey from his bees.  So I used some (well, most of it.)


I'd always heard that honey is a good additive, and after adding it to the wort I had high expectations.  After the fermenting was complete (which took longer due to the added sugars from the honey), I took a sample for a taste test...


It looked good, but it tasted even better.  A nice aroma of honey, with a slight honey flavor on the finish.  And yeah, plenty hoppy too.  When I bottled it, I instantly came up with a name for my latest creation.


MuddHoney IPA.  Since my uncle and I have the same last name, it made perfect sense.  It's a family beer I guess, and quite possibly the best one I've made so far.  And yes, I haz plenty...


It's not ready yet.  This one will take more time to be perfect.  Will I share this one too?  Probably.  You know, since I'm pretty damn proud of it.

Now, it's time to come up with another brew creation.  Stay tuned.

No comments: