Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Long Way Around



As the Mutt is away, I'll be taking over blogging duties heading into the weekend. For those of you unaware this is Mr. Shepherd from soggy but always shinny Orlando. I'm not one for preambles so . . .
I decided to take a road ride to Bradenton a couple of weeks ago to visit my girlfriend for a week. I boxed up clothes, toiletries, and various sundrys for my stay and sent them over a few days before so they'd be there when I arrived. At about day break Saturday morning, I loaded Missy down with some water bottles packed a credit card, cell phone, camera, and aspirin into my SPI belt and off I went.
The first 30 miles were familiar territory for me the next hundred or so would be an adventure.
I saw some wild life.
. . . and some thug life . . .
and then I reached a town on the edge of nowhere called Mulberry which also happened to be the half way point of my ride. I was lucky enough to run into a gentlemen that worked for the Polk County Highway maintenance department at the convenience store. I asked him how far to CR 62 and he said far. And then I explained I'd be riding my bike down there. Incredulously he exclaimed, "THERE'S NOTHING DOWN THERE!" I told him I was looking forward to it since my ride thus far had been through a few towns where traffic is heavier. "Where you coming from," he inquired. "Orlando" I said. He shook his head and went into the store. When he came back out I asked him about Duette Rd. He thought it was a dirt road which would alter my plans a bit. He was right about there being nothing out there though. I saw this . . .
. . . and this . . .


and that was it. Except the storm clouds that were forming on the horizon which created another dilemma for me. I didn't pack my camera in a waterproof container. I wasn't worried about my phone; it had been though worse. As I was riding along shortly after my stop at "Brewster's" I realized what I could do.
Yup! The old camera in the water bottle trick. It took a little massaging to get it out but it worked. When I hit CR 62 the rain started coming down and I didn't want to bother riding a mile east to find out Duette Rd. was dirt (it isn't as i found out later) so I chugged along, through the rain most of the way, 62 until I hit a town called Parrish for my third and final stop before reaching my destination.

I was surprised at how quickly time passed for me. I figured the 145 mile 8 hour journey would have taken a toll on my body and spirit but it didn't. It wasn't my first century and there was plenty of cloud cover for most of the day.

I don't do epilogues so, adios and have a good weekend.










1 comment:

Benson said...

Good job Mr. Shepherd from soggy but always shinny Orlando.