Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It’s Not Just About Racing

It sure seems like it though. It’s hard to come up with shit to talk about every day in the “offseason”, but now that the race season is coming up soon I guess it’s time to start talking about what I’m going to do. Confused? Me too. The first race in the Winter Short Track Series is less than two weeks away, and I have mixed feelings about it. I can’t wait to wear myself out on the race course with my closest cycling friends, that’s for sure. What I’m worried about is shitty weather like last year (rain, snow, and extreme cold), my lack of cycling fitness, and humiliating myself out there. Okay, I’m not really worried about that last part, since it gives me lots of stuff to talk about here. I’m all about making fun of myself for your enjoyment. You’re welcome. The weather could be a concern though.



I’m trying like hell to get myself ready to race, but the trails around here are still closed. I’m hoping to get out after work a few evenings for some night riding, and that should at least help me get my skills back. Honestly, I’ll probably be fighting to stay out of last place for the 5 race series, lick my wounds, and get ready for the real “season” to begin. If I do in fact manage to beat anyone out there, then I will get to use my Victory Teabag to assert my dominance over the local cycling scene.




I’ll be using the Winter Series to “race my way into shape”, whatever the hell that means. I guess I’m using it as a training series, and not really concentrating on my results. My first “real” race is March 13th in Danville, VA at the Angler’s Ridge. For some reason I’m looking forward to this one the most, since it will be my return to a really fun trail that I wouldn’t normally ride. I’d like to get up there for a pre ride, but I don’t think that will happen. Hell, I’m starting to wonder if I will get to ride my bike at all. So far, my riding efforts have resulted in a total fail.



I gotta get out on the trail soon. This shit is driving me nutty.

No comments: