Friday, October 5, 2012

The Kid Is Pleased



Yeah, I finished the build of Lunchbox’s “new” bike.  Well, I guess it is new since I never rode it.  When I got the replacement, I brought it home and it sat in the garage until I could figure out what I wanted to do.  Since I knew I was eventually getting a new geared frame (and I spend all of my time on the single speed anyway), I called him up on the way home and asked if he wanted me to build his bike.  He was really happy that I offered, even though it meant that I wouldn’t have a geared bike to ride for a while.


It didn’t take long to put together, and he is super stoked about it.




I have to admit that he looks good on it, and he’s not as picky as I am anyway.  He rode it around the neighborhood, and immediately liked the new size.  It just fit him better, he said.


I made sure to add all of his accessories, like his Lizard Skins chainstay protector:



And he’s still gonna be Awesome:




And his trademark, the hamburger bell:


And as a bonus, I gave him my red Cane Creek 110 headset:


Even though I had a bad experience with the whole frame replacement issue, I still enjoyed building this bike.  He’s not all caught up in the little things when it comes to manufacturers and such; he just loves to ride his bike.  I love putting them together too.


Now, I have a pile of this:



What am I gonna put that stuff on?


Only time will tell.


In other news, tomorrow is a big day.  It’s time once again for the annual Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day

This event is happening all over the world, and we’re gonna be a part of it.  With sponsors REI and Trips For Kids teaming up with the Tarheel Trailblazers and the Dirt Divas, it’s sure to be another great year to get kids out in the woods to ride.


If you’re local, come on out and join us at Colonel Francis Beatty Park in Matthews at 8:00 a.m.  If you’re reading this from somewhere far away, then check out your local club or the IMBA website to find a ride near you.


My kid is happy, especially since he gets to ride his new bike on the trail for the first time.


I’ll be here Monday with a full recap.

No comments: