Friday, May 20, 2011

Time To Race Again




I got this e-mail yesterday:

Dear Racer,

Congratulations! You have qualified for the 2011 USA Cycling Mountain Bike Cross-country National Championships scheduled for July 14-17 in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Race registration is now open. Online registration will close on Sunday, July 10, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. On-site (late) entry fees will go into effect starting on Monday, July 11, at 12:00 a.m. EDT.

Find course maps, schedule of events, qualification standards, local lodging options, news and more on the Mountain Bike XC National Championships event page.

If you still need to renew your 2011 USA Cycling MTB license, now is the time to do it! Licenses purchased now are good through December 31, 2011. All riders must have an annual USA Cycling MTB license in order to register and compete at the 2011 USA Cycling Mountain Bike Cross-country National Championships.
USA Cycling license renewal information

Hope to see you there! Good luck with your season.


Blah blah blah.


They obviously have the wrong “racer.” While I am flattered that I “qualified” for the National Championship, there’s something fishy here. I’m not that great of a racer, so it must be a fluke. Either that or they invite pretty much anyone to race. If it is true, then I’m still not going. I asked Lunchbox and Little Miss Sunshine if they wanted to take a trip to Idaho this summer, and they both said no. I asked what the hell was in Idaho anyway, and they both replied, “Potatoes.” Clever, but not enough to get me out there. Sorry USA Cycling, but I won’t be getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of “good” racers in a far away land. Maybe next time.


I am racing again soon though. This Sunday is the Catawba Riverfront Classic, the next race in the Southern Classic Series. It’s right here in Charlotte, so I won’t have to drive all over hell to get there.


You might remember me saying that I won this race two years ago, but last year I got schooled by a bunch of “professional” Clydesdales. I’m not sure what to expect this year, but I will give it my best. In fact, I’ll be looking good when I race in it thanks to Bike29.







Yup, it’s time. After seeing Dicky, George, and Emily rocking their Bike29 kits, it’s time for me to bust mine out. While I will look extra serious in my team kit, that doesn’t mean I’ll race any better. I will look dead sexy though.




See y’all Monday with a full race report, and maybe even some photos of me looking good in the Bike29 colors. Hopefully I won’t ride like a roadie out there on Sunday.

No comments: