Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ride Your Bike



Because that’s what I plan to do.  All damn weekend.  And by the way, that starts tomorrow.  I took the day off from work, so that means I’m taking the day off from here too.  I’ll be busy first thing tomorrow morning with the start of this:




That’s right, Bike Charlotte kicks off here this weekend, and the first event is the Mayor’s Ride.  And once again this year I’m leading a group from our local mountain bike club, the Tarheel Trailblazers, starting at Queen City Bicycles.  We’ll roll out in a big group to meet up with the mayor and tons of other cyclists from all over town, then we’ll ride into the city like one big happy family (roadies included.)  We'll have free breakfast, get free t-shirts, and talk with our local politicians about bicycling here in Charlotte.  All after starting off our day with a bike ride. 


Although the ride isn’t very long, it’s very important.  If you’re a member of the local cycling community here, come on out and show your support for bicycling here in Charlotte.  It’s a really fun ride that has a huge impact.  Besides, I’ll be there.  Isn’t that enough reason to show up?


In other news, I plan on trying yet another endurance race this weekend. 





The Rivers Edge Mountain Bike Marathon held in the Uwharrie National Forest is Sunday, and this will be my first time actually “racing.”  I’ve volunteered as a medic/course marshal since this event first got started, but now it’s time I man up and enter it.  Of course I’ll be riding the Falcon, in its full rigid form.  The primary goal is to complete 55 miles, and the secondary goal is not to die in the process.  I’m not sure if I can do it, but that won’t stop me.



Every other endurance race I’ve done has been for a certain amount of time (i.e 6, 8, 12 hours etc.)  This time though, to finish the race you have to complete five laps.  Even if I don’t finish, it will still do me some good.  Good Guy Greg will be out there with me (on gears this time because he’s smart) and I even heard that TomTom is running a duo.  Maybe we can get the gang back together for a party pace lap to ease the pain.


I just want to survive.


It will be a rough day, and I will make it even rougher by staying up late the night before.  I’m heading down to nearby Fort Mill, SC for a crawfish boil, which features beer and live music.  Not just any live music though.


These guys will be there:




My man Shane from DeFeet is rolling into town to play with his band CroMoly, and I can’t wait.  This time, Lunchbox finally gets to see them live.  We’re obviously big fans of DeFeet here at B-43, and also big fans of good music.


That’s a helluva lotta stuff going on, and I didn’t even tell you all of it.


Damn it, I’m gonna die this weekend.


See y’all Monday.

No comments: