Thursday, June 6, 2013

Not A Ride Report

Because my dumbass brought my bike with me yesterday but forgot riding apparel. 



So, I’ll talk about some new shit I got instead.  After getting the single speed setup just right I’m starting to find things that need to be changed on the geared bike.  Other than removing the gears, I mean.  We’ll get into that another time.  Anyway, I’d gotten really accustomed to the big, fat 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the front, but because my SS is a rigid I didn’t think I should run one on a bike with front suspension.  Lately I’ve (obviously) been riding the geared bike, and while the Ignitors are really good I found myself missing the super duper grip of the Ardent.


You with me?

Good.


So, I got with my people down there in Georgia and had a box sent my way.




In that big box among all the other stuff I needed (not very exciting stuff like tubes, etc.) was a new tire.




It’s an Ardent of course, but this one’s a wee bit narrower.  It’s a 2.25, and even though it’s a little lighter it has the same tread pattern (and therefore the same grip) as the big fatty.  I haven’t put it on yet, but I will soon.  I can’t wait to enjoy good ol’ front end traction on the geared bike just like the SS, and I'll even save a little weight.  That means I can drink extra beer, you know.


Apparently I can only change one tire at a time, so I used that one time on the rear tire of my SS.  The Crossmark is a fine dry condition XC racing tire, but it was giving me a little trouble when I stood up to climb.  I solved that problem by installing a still fast, yet slight bit gripper tire.




There was one more change made to the SS, but I’m not at liberty to say what it is right now.  I'll just tell you that I’m trying something out right now to see if I like it.




Let’s keep this one between us, mmmkay?


So yeah, bike shit is getting swapped around here at the B-43 Worldwide Headquarters.  One for a bike that I’m not currently riding right now due to a self-imposed hiatus and the other for a bike that is probably gonna see a major change anyway.


I confuse the shit outta myself sometimes.



Two rides to go on the geared bike, and I’m not sure if the next one will be soon.  I’m busy tonight, and after that I’ll probably save myself for some big ride I’m planning this weekend. 



I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow.

No comments: