Saturday, May 22, 2010

Let's Get Down to Business

After the Muddy Buddy nonsense . . .

. . . it was time to get down to [70.3] business. I didn't sleep the night before. I woke up around 10pm and quickly realized that I wasn't going to fall back asleep anytime soon, which is okay since I love race day. I got tattooed, set up transition, and followed the rest of my race day ritual.

The swim, regardless of the distance, always seems longer to me. This race was no different. A 1.2 mile swim was ahead of me and it seemed like the buoys were setup around the circumference of Bay Lake. I started in the last wave of my group (one of the largest with 350 participants) which began an hour after the Pros entered the water. (Note: No one dressed up like fairies, barbies in a box, or the Ambiguously Gay Duo.)

I managed to maintain a positive attitude throughout the race mainly because I made it through the swim without much difficulty.

While I could "Go On!" I'll stop the 70.3 show and tell with a photo from Bike Out. I was surprisingly fresh after the 56 mile bike loop. The volunteers were great and I learned a few things about triathlons from the experience. The run course was the unanimous low point of the event; however, the 13.1 mile experience did give me an idea that could be employed by the nutty crowd that enjoys 6,12, and 24 hour mtb races. The aid stations on the run had kiddy pools filled with ice water and the volunteers handed out sponges that could be dipped into the ice cold water and placed on whatever body part ailed the most. In retrospect, the "ice bath to go" probably got me across the finish line.


No comments: