Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Should Start Getting Ready


One of my favorite races is coming up this weekend:



Yes, the 2013 Catawba Riverfront Classic is this Sunday.  No matter what I have going on, I’ve always made sure to enter this one.  After all, I am the 2009 Clydesdale Champion and all that (whatever the hell that’s worth.)  And, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to add to my tiny little trophy/medal collection.




That’s not what it’s all about though.  I race for fun, and like I keep saying, cross country racing just hasn’t been all that fun for me lately.  This year, the Riverfront Classic is the NC State Championship race, and while I’ve finished second in the state for the past two years, that’s not enough motivation either.  I guess I’m still undecided, but I’ll know a little more as the race gets closer.  Probably like the last minute.


I’ll be there either way, because the race is also a fundraiser for our local club, the Tarheel Trailblazers.  I’ll be there to volunteer with all things race-related, and even if I do decide to race that won’t change.  I have a chance to do a fun ride in the mountains on Saturday, and I damn sure don’t want to forgo that just so I can race.


It’s not like I’m guaranteed to get a trophy anyway.


In other news, I’m already starting to make preparations for another race.  My big road trip to Minnesota this summer for Single Speed USA is starting to come together, since I’ve already acquired my accommodations for the week.



Yup.  I got a camper shell put on my truck da udda day, and I’ll be sleeping in that bitch.  Last year in Vermont I stayed in a local motel, and I found out later that the real fun happened at the campground.  Plus, this will save me a few bucks so I can drink more beer (and share with the rest of the Drunk Cyclist crew.)


Now I just gotta work on my travel plans.


And yeah, I guess I’ll decide what to do for the Riverfront Classic on Friday.

No comments: